Product ManagerMitchell Lewis and Staver Co.
About Mitchell Lewis & Staver:
Since 1882, Mitchell Lewis & Staver has focused on technical expertise, superior service, quality products, and dependable delivery, making us the leading distributor of value-added pumps, motors, controls, packaged systems and custom engineered solutions for residential water, wastewater, agriculture, irrigation, commercial and industrial applications. We are a leader in innovative solutions that help our customers manage, control and conserve energy and liquid resources.
At Mitchell Lewis & Staver, we deeply value our people, our customers, and doing things right. We're committed to growth and rewarding our employees for their contributions. If you're a curious analytical thinker with a passion for product management and winning, please apply!
Mitchell Lewis & Staver fosters a proactive culture of teamwork, transparent communication, entrepreneurship, integrity, and accountability. We also like to have fun, promoting lightheartedness and work-life balance. We offer competitive compensation, an excellent benefits package, and a generous PTO policy. If you are looking for a great team environment where your skills and talents are valued, join the team at Mitchell Lewis & Staver!
The Product Manager (PM) is responsible for maximizing revenue and gross margin for their respective product categories by ensuring we have the right products for the markets and geographies we serve. The PM is responsible for product planning and execution throughout the Product Lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing product and market/customer requirements, defining the product vision. Working closely with suppliers, sales, marketing, corporate development, and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met. The PM's job also includes ensuring that the product supports the company's overall strategy and goals.
- Remote opportunity with some travel required ~25% of the time.
- Define the product strategy and roadmap for specific product categories including positioning and messaging, ensuring we differentiate our offerings and communicate our competitive advantages.
- Lead product rationalization efforts for geographic and market targets, ensuring we have the right products that maximize revenue and gross margin.
- Perform detailed pricing and margin analysis and present outcomes and recommendations to management.
- Oversee and manage product line life cycles to maximize revenue and gross margin while anticipating potential problems that affect product success and market adoption.
- Evaluate competition and publish findings to ensure widespread awareness of competitive advantages and disadvantages.
- Conduct market assessments to understand market sizing in respective geographies to have a clear understanding of market potential, penetration and selling conditions.
- Provide executive summaries and presentations to leadership, making recommendations on specific courses of action related to products and end markets served.
- Influence the compensation and incentive strategies to drive growth.
- Using stage gate process and project tracking, work collaboratively with operations, corporate development, marketing, sales, customer service and finance to develop and execute product launch plans, go-to-market strategies and sales forecasts (social networks, paid ads, content syndication, blog, display, web and email).
- Work collaboratively with Marketing Communications to ensure the website has the necessary content to highlight product attributes that communicates value and differentiates Mitchell's from the competition.
- Work collaboratively with sales to identify promotions that will facilitate achievement of financial objectives, produce training and other sales tools to communicate product value and ensure fluency in product capabilities with customer facing employees.
- Work collaboratively with Business Development to identify and establish a relationship with potential suppliers.
Experience and Abilities Required:
- 5+ years of product management experience.
- Demonstrated success defining, acquiring (or developing) and launching products.
- Experienced in stage gate product development process, project tracking and various market research tools such as VOC and gap analysis.
- Background in pumps, motors, or controls preferred.
- Experience with MS Office.
- Ability to remain at a stationary position 50% of the time.
- Ability to travel 30% of the time
- Ability to move product weighing up to 50 pounds, including lifting, placing, pushing and pulling.
Characteristics and Competencies Required:
- A curious and analytical thinker with a strong desire to consume data to influence outcomes.
- Extremely organized multi-tasker who loves to roll up their sleeves and get work done.
- Strategic planning and thinking.
- Creative problem-solving skills with the ability to innovate.
- Ability to break down complex problems in a simplified way.
- Ability to work and influence cross-functionally for the greater good of the company without formal authority.
- A passion for the profession of product management.
- Detail-oriented, meticulous, and high standard of excellence in all areas.
- Outstanding communication skills and ability to influence others internally and externally using verbal, print and electronic formats.
- Ability to work independently and produce results with little supervision, while being a great team player.
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work in fast-paced environment.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position.