Health and Safety Lead - Multiple Locations
Health and Safety Lead - Multiple LocationsFreeport McMoRan
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world’s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world’s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Engage primarily with the frontline workforce to raise awareness of health and safety policies, risks and controls. Facilitate processes in the Health & Safety Management System, including incident investigations and hazard assessments to ensure compliance with government laws and regulations, and company policies.
- Directs employee engagement activities such as risk assessments and raising general safety awareness to employees, managers, and other stakeholders.
- Leads safety audits and inspects facilities within area of responsibility to ensure a safe working environment and compliance with regulatory laws.
- Manages Health and Safety functions or projects.
- Trains staff from multiple divisions in safety procedures, including specialized safety training (e.g., confined space, LOTOTO) and Annual Refresher Training as required.
- Inspects and evaluates work in progress, identifies any problem areas, and may direct remedial action.
- Participates on cross-function teams to manage moderately complex incident investigation and root cause analysis.
- Accompanies MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspectors and document regulated field activities.
- Conducts health and safety orientations, visit work sites and distribute literature to implement and promote safety and/or environmental policies and procedures.
- May administer workers’ compensation program for the company, including interacting with workers’ compensation insurers, monitoring claims, developing and administering loss prevention and rehabilitation management/monitoring programs, maintain files, and provide necessary support in defense of claims.
- Perform other duties as required.
- Leading personnel and/or projects, AND
- High School diploma or GED and five (5) years of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Associate’s degree and three (3) years of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Bachelor’s degree and one (1) year of experience in Health & Safety or related, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical mining related discipline with at least one summer internship experience (or equivalent) working in mining or industrial environment
- Ability to understand and apply verbal and written work and safety-related instructions and procedures given in English
- Ability to communicate in English with respect to job assignments, job procedures, and applicable safety standards
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safety-sensitive:
- Site-based positions, or positions which require unescorted access to site-based operational areas, which are held by employees who are required to receive MSHA, OSHA, DOT, HAZWOPER and/or Hazard Recognition Training; or
- Positions which are held by employees who operate equipment, machinery or motor vehicles in furtherance of performing the essential functions of their job duties, including operating motor vehicles while on Company business or travel (for this purpose “motor vehicles” includes Company owned or leased motor vehicles and personal motor vehicles used by employees in furtherance of Company business or while on Company travel); or
- Positions which Freeport-McMoRan has designated as safety sensitive positions in the applicable job or position description and which upon further review continue to be designated as safety-sensitive based on an individualized assessment of the actual duties performed by a specifically identified employee.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability