Business Operations Specialist
Business Operations SpecialistArizona State University
Phoenix, AZ 85004
The Schools of Public Affairs and Criminology and Criminal Justice are seeking a full-time Business Operations Specialist. Under the direct supervision of the Business Operations Manager this position will assist with preparing, organizing and coordinating the business operation functions in accordance with established goals, priorities, time limitation, funding limitation or other specifications. These functions include basic budgeting, accounting, payroll and other functions designated by the Business Operations Manager. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, have a high attention to detail, possess exceptional organization and customer service skills, while maintaining an effective working relationship with faculty and staff.
Scope of Search
Grant Funded Position
- Prepares budget proposals and recommendations and establishes budget control system for controlling expenditures; controls expenditures in accordance with budget allocations; recommends equipment and resources for function/program.
- Monitors a variety of account expenditures, maintains and reconciles detailed budgets for various accounts, advises and/or determines which expenditures are within the budget guidelines and informs management of irregularities and proceeds with corrective action.
- Processes travel reimbursements.
- Purchases supplies, services, and equipment with use of P Card and other purchasing documents in accordance with established procurement and financial policies.
- Assists with coordination and processing of personnel searches and hiring, faculty promotion and tenure processes within the department, and maintains personnel files consistent with University policies and practices.
- Organizes and/or prepares departmental administrative and financial reports; analyzes, summarizes and interprets information; recommends action to be taken.
- Responds to audit requests and gathers documentation for payroll, Pcards, and financial records.
- Performs payroll and Pcard reconciliations.
- Develops and facilitates events, workshops, meetings or conferences; coordinates logistics, scheduling and participant communications; development of brochures or other unique projects.
- Performs all activities associated with Department Time Administrator to ensure accurate and timely recording of exception and positive time for human resource staff members.
- Assists with coordination and development of course schedule, text book ordering, and classroom scheduling.
- Prioritizes and arranges meetings, conferences and appointments for unit administrator; makes necessary travel reservations and itineraries; determines and prepares background materials needed.
- Represents the college/department and serves on various department and university committees.
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty, staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program objectives.
Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND three (3) years of related experience; OR, Seven (7) years of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic principles, practices and methods of accounting, budgeting, and inventory management.
- Demonstrated knowledge of basic project management.
- Experience in performing detailed and complex numerical computations and reports, including analysis and evaluation of budgets, planning and other management information systems.
- Experience in designing presentation materials.
- Experience in coordinating activities and establishing priorities.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Evidence of effective effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse
- Frequently required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Communicate to perform essential functions
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 100,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: Arizona State University is a federal contractor and subject to federal regulations which may require you to produce a record of a COVID-19 vaccination. For questions about medical or religious accommodations, please visit the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion's webpage.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/az-resources.
Employment Verification Statement
Fingerprint Check Statement
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.