Phoenix, AZ 85027
Our Real Estate teamtakes on the task of finding and managing over 1,600 stores, DCs, and offices. Their scope is pretty big, as we are a multi-national retailer with over 1,600 leased stores, offices, and distribution centers in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Hong Kong. The team also supports new store growth through market analysis and research with the industry’s best data resources and analytical tools. In addition to supporting the stores, we work directly with the Real Estate Legal, Facilities, New Store Construction, and Finance teams.
About the Job
The position is responsible for all strategic design aspects of PetSmart new store and remodel projects. The ideal candidate will have previous experience managing and coordinating design projects with cross functional teams as well as be a strong leader with exceptional design skills. This position is an essential part of PetSmart as the fixture floor plans are the foundation for the layouts of our retail stores.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs individual new PetSmart stores and remodel projects which require a detailed understanding of PetSmart’s interior layout and merchandising requirements as well as shell coordination issues and regional design differences.
- Site coordination on new PetSmart stores, including the interpretation and coordination of the site plan, truck circulation, loading configuration, site utilities, project elevations and other civil design issues.
- Reads and interprets construction documents and shop drawings of all trade disciplines: Architectural, Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing & Structural.
- Designs and budgets all store signage including façade signage, secondary signage and all site and directional signage.
- Consults and influences cross functional teams to ensure alignment on individual store designs by coordinating schematic reviews with Development, Merchandise and Operations teams. Reviews fixture plan designs prior to submittal for final approval.
- Develops understanding of supported market and creates a point of view around design solutions for market and plan to execute.
- Executes design solutions that are relevant to specific site/building conditions and region while adhering to the strategic business drivers and prototype designs.
- Contributes to project development through pre-design information gathering / agenda coordination, zoning support and regional design expertise.
- Ensures successful design execution with cross functional partners by providing direction on translation of design concepts in response to business strategic drivers and prototype design.
- Manages Real Estate Committee fixture plan and practices to ensure alignment with company business goals and objectives.
- Coordinates project schedules with alignment from cross functional teams. Communicates and manages fixture plan process [internal and external] to meet established deadlines.
- Continues personal development of AutoCAD proficiency and related programs with emphasis on researching new technology to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Develops and adheres to PetSmart AutoCAD standards and other departmental processes.
- Travel as required. (10%)
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum 3-5 years AutoCAD design / drafting experience.
- Minimum 2-4 years work experience in retail store design environment.
- Experience managing and coordinating design / construction drawing with internal cross functional teams as well as external architectural, engineering and construction consultants.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- None required
About the Culture
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
- Learn more about #LifeAtPetSmart here: https://www.lifeatpetsmart.com/life-at-petsmart/
- Check out Associate stories and share in some celebrations at PetSmart: https://www.blog.lifeatpetsmart.com/
- Explore PetSmart Benefits here: https://benefits.petsmart.com/